Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rooh.It: Instant Web Highlighter Review

So, I've seriously been waiting for something like Rooh.IT to come along for quite some time now due to the fact that I'm actively engaged with the online world.  I mean... who isn't these days right?  Literally everything is going virtual and the internet is now the primary resource for just about anything.  I'm just starting to use E-textbooks because they're a lot cheaper and they save me the hassle of carrying around bulky books and I'm sure everyone else is finding this alternative to be more efficient.  However, the thing that stopped me from buying E-textbooks a lot sooner was the fact that I thought it'd be hard to remember the main points of each chapter if I didn't re-write them, which in the end turns out to be pretty time consuming.  Also, I am an avid highlighter/note-taker so I need to have a hands on experience while reading in order for me to really understand the material.  Therefore when I heard about Rooh.IT, I immediately knew this was going to be an extremely beneficial tool.  Rooh.IT allows you to highlight phrases you find interesting/important and automatically stores that data into your personal portfolio.  I love the fact that you can go back to your portfolio and select "combine" to add all of your notes together under one relevant topic.  This allows me to search multiple different websites for information and then combine all the data in the end without the hassle of having to bookmark each page separately or re-type everything in a word document. Rooh.IT also allows you to share your highlights with friends on facebook, twitter, blogspot, etc. which I thought was really cool!  So say for example, you find a news article about an interesting murder case and you want to share it with all of your friends, but you don't want to waste their time by giving them the link to the 5 page article.  You can simply use the Rooh.IT tool to highlight the main points and then share it online with your friends!

Another thing that I love about Rooh.IT is that it has really detailed storage features.  What I mean by this is that you can easily track which highlights you want to keep to yourself, which highlights you want to share to the public, and which highlights you already sent to your friends.  It keeps everything nice and organized for you so it won't get confusing later on down the road.


The thing I did find a bit tricky was actually bookmarking the site and getting easy access to the highlighter as opposed to just typing in Rooh.IT/ before everything.  I think the Rooh.IT site tried to make it as easy and coherent as possible, but there was just too much information on the website for me to fully understand how to use it.  The "add to favorites" section doesn't make sense in terms of my computer and so I couldn't properly download or add the tool.

Other than that, I think Rooh.IT is onto something really good!  If you haven't checked out the website yet, please do at http://roohit.com/site/welcome.php

No comments:

Post a Comment